The ASI1600MM Pro is one of the most popular cameras from ZWO. It has gained a reputation as a fantastic camera if you want to get serious about your astrophotography. Some of the highlights include:
- 4/3” format with 3.8 um pixel size– flexible pixel size for many types of telescopes.
- 12-bit ADC – giving high dynamic range of 12.5 stops.
- A solid 20ke- full well capacity– helping to reduce the issue of, for example, saturated stars.
- 16-megapixel sensor with 4656*3520 pixels– plenty of detail can be captured in high resolution.
- Read noise as low as 1.2 e-.
DDR Memory Buffer
DDR memory buffer is the main difference between ASI “Cool” and “Pro” cameras.
ASI1600MM Pro camera includes a 256MB DDR3 memory buffer to help improve data transfer reliability. Additionally, the use of a memory buffer minimizes amp-glow, which is caused by the slow transfer speeds when the camera is used with a USB 2.0 port.
ASI1600 Pro offers very good performance for astrophotography. Low read noise, low dark current, high dynamic range.
ASI1600 has a build-in 12bit ADC but can provide 12.5 stops dynamic range which is even better than KAF8300 due to its super low read noise.
We suppose the QE peak value is more than 60%.
The dark current of ASI1600 from out test result.
here is a 300S dark frame tested with the cooler running at -25 degree.
Notice: For the possible amp glow that shows on your images, please refer to this tutorial: “What is Amp-glow and how do I manage it? “
Reliable Mechanical Structures
There are four screws that seal the sensor chamber. Our camera design has been extensively tested and is very stable.
Even when used in higher humidity environments, ASI1600 Pro will still work fine without dew problems.
USB 3.0 Port & USB2.0 HUB
USB 3.0 Port: Provides 5Gb bandwidth to make it possible for ASI1600 Pro to run at 14.7 fps (12bit, normal mode) or 23 fps (10bit, high speed mode) at full resolution (16Mega).
USB 2.0 HUB: Can connect with various accessories, including a filter wheel, guide camera or electronic focuser, allowing you to manage your cables better. There are two short 0.5m USB2.0 cables included with the ASI1600 Pro. The hub is powered by the external power supply if you connect one.
Thanks to the two-stage TEC cooling, ASI1600MM Pro can lower the CMOS sensor temperature to more than 40-45 degrees Celsius below ambient temperature, which can greatly reduce dark current generation and sensor noise even during extended exposure times.
Please notice that the camera needs to be connected to an external 11-15v power supply to implement the cooling function. We recommend you use 12V@3A DC adapter (5.5*2.1mm, center pole positive) or lithium battery with 11-15V to power the camera. If you don’t have one, please click here to buy a 12V power adapter. There are 4 different standards for different countries, please make sure you selected the correct adapter when placing the order.
1. M43-T2 adapter
2. EOS-T2 adapter
3. 2”Filter (optional)
4. 1.25” T-Mount
5. 1.25” Filter (optional)
6. M42-1.25” Filter (optional)
7. T2 extender 11mm
8. M42-M48 extender 16.5mm
9. T2-T2 adapter
10. EFW mini
11. EOS adapter for EFW+1600
What is in the box?
ASI1600 Pro box includes all necessary cables, adapters, and manuals.
Spacer thickness: 0.1mm *1+0.2mm *2+0.5mm *1
The best solution of 55mm back focus length
Read more: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/tutorials/best-back-focus-length-solutions-55mm.html
Appreciation of user works:
The Cocoon nebula (IC 5146, Sh2-125)
APOD Image of the day, photo by Marcel Drechsler
Camera technical details
Sensor: 4/3″ CMOS
Resolution: 16Mega Pixels 4656×3520
Pixel Size: 3.8µm
Max FPS at full resolution :23FPS
Shutter: Rolling shutter
Exposure Range: 32µs-2000s
Read Noise: 1.2-3.6e
QE peak: 60%
Full well: 20ke
DDRIII Buffer: 256MB
Non-volatile memory/On camera storage: Build-in total 192K byte user-accessible space(image size up to 480X320)
Adaptor: 2″ / 1.25″ / M42X0.75
Protect window:AR window（D32-2-AR）
Dimensions: 78mm Diameter
Back Focus Distance: 6.5mm
Cooling: Regulated Two Stage TEC
Delta T: 40-45 below ambient
Cooler Power consumption: 12V at 2A Max
Working Temperature: -5°C—45°C
Storage Temperature: -20°C—60°C
Working Relative Humidity: 20%—80%
Storage Relative Humidity: 20%—95%
more resolutions are user defined
Our website is always updated with the most recent camera drivers as well as software for DSO and planetary imaging. Please make sure the most recent driver and software has been installed before you start shooting:
It is also recommended to read the Manuals first before shooting.
It will take around 60-90 days for shipment via ePacket/China Post Registered Air Mail/EMS, which can’t be guaranteed due to force majeure.
- Fast Shipping(amount ≧ 199USD) for free
- Fast Shipping(amount < 199USD) : $20.00 (We do not provide free shipping from now on.)
If you can’t get the air mail package after 2months, please let us know ASAP: email@example.com
- Fast Shipping: we will choose DHL, UPS, FedEx etc to deliver it. Usually you will get your package within 7-14 days.
- Customers from Brazil and Chile should leave a message to provide your CPF or CNPJ as your custom needs it.
- Customers from Russia need to provide the complete English name with three words as well as the English shipping address.
China air mail: http://www.17track.net/en
- The price list on our website is USD without tax.
- Please note that buyers are liable to pay tax involved, such as Import tax, VAT , customs handling fee, etc. The additional fees may be collected at time of delivery by courier.
- For best local service we advise customers buy our cameras form local dealers.
Warranty and Return Policy
- We provide 2-year warranty for our products, we will offer the repair service for free within warranty period. After the warranty period, we will continue to provide repair support and service on a charged basis. We do not provide any replacement unless ZWO confirmed the product is DOA (Dead On Arrival).
- This warranty does not apply to damage that occurred as a result of abuse or misuse, or caused by a fall or any other transportation failures after purchase.
- Customer must pay for shipping when shipping the camera back for repair or replacement. If we confirm you can get a replacement, goods must be returned with all accessories, instructions, etc and must be suitably packed.
- If you get a faulty camera, please contact us as soon as possible though email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please describe the problem in detail and we will do our best to help you solve the problem. Most instances perceived problems are simply bad driver install or software configuration.
- We will provide you RMA number if your camera requires warranty repair. We refuse any return without RMA number!
- For customers who bought the camera from our dealer, dealer is responsible for the customer service for you.