All Pro cameras (with cooler) need to be connected to an external 11-14v power supply to image.
Even when the cooler is not being used the power supply must be used for the camera to be recognized.
ASI183MC Pro uses Sony’s IMX183CQJ-J sensor. With a high QE-value and low provides excellent image quality at an affordable price. Some of the features include:
- 2o megapixel sensor with 2.4 μm pixel size. – able to capture19 frames/s frame rate in 12-bit mode with high detail
- Very low 6e- readout noise – bringing out more details in your images with improved dynamic range
- Full-well capacity of 15ke– – reduces the risk of oversaturated stars in longer exposures
This back-illuminated, rolling shutter-type CMOS sensor has a diagonal of 15.86 mm and approximately 20.2 megapixels.
▶High-Speed and High-Picture-Quality Rolling Shutter-Type Back-Illuminated CMOS Image Sensors
Designed for astrophotography, the Sony IMX183CLK-J (monochrome) and IMX183CQJ-J (color) sensors use high sensitivity back-illuminated structures with high resolution 2.4 μm square pixels. The optical size is 1 inch.
DDR Memory Buffer
The ASI183 Pro camera includes a 256MB DDR3 memory buffer to help improve data transfer reliability. Additionally, the use of a memory buffer minimizes amp-glow, which is caused by the slow transfer speeds when the camera is used with a USB 2.0 port.
The DDR memory buffer is the main difference between ASI “Cool” and “Pro” cameras.
DDR memory buffer is the main difference between ASI “Cool” and “Pro” cameras.
The ASI183 cameras has an impressive list of characteristics suited for astrophotography including a large full well capacity of 15000 e-, small pixel size, 1.6e read noise @ 30dB, and 12 stops dynamic range @ Gain=0. The ASI183 cameras also utilize firmware features to minimize amplifier glow for maximum performance in astrophotography.
ASI183 Pro has same mechanics as ASI1600 Pro. There are four screws that seal the sensor chamber. Our camera design has been extensively tested and is very stable even in demanding environments.
Even when used in environments with higher humidity, ASI183 Pro will still work fine without dew problems.
Fast FPS and high-speed readout come in handy for many applications in astrophotography such as in
- solar and lunar imaging,
- as well as for live viewing or electronically assisted astronomy (EAA)
- real-time focusing,
- true lucky imaging of double stars and other small objects,
- planetary imaging of the major planets in the solar system, and much more.
Sony’s back-illuminated Exmor R technology, giving it excellent Deep Sky performance. ASI183 QE peak reaches a respectable 84%. In Ha channel, QE is still over 60%.
Having high QE means that more of the light that enters your telescope and reaches the sensor is actually used. With 84% peak Q.E. and no less than ~50% within the visible spectrum, the ASI183 will utilize a high percentage of the light that reaches it, improving your signal quality.
The dark current of the ASI183 is extremely low, based on our test results.
Dark frame sample @ Highest dynamic range settings(gain=0), 300s, -10°C, bin1. Please check the dark frame to make sure you are fully aware of the performance.
ASI183 Pro Dark Frame
Notice: For the possible amp glow that shows on your images, please refer to this tutorial: “What is Amp-glow and how do I manage it? “
USB 3.0 Port & USB2.0 HUB
USB 3.0 Port: Provide 5Gb bandwidth to make it possible for ASI183 Pro to run at 19 fps (12bit, normal mode) or 19 fps (10bit, high speed mode) at full resolution(20.18Mega).
USB 2.0 HUB: can connect with various accessories, such as filter wheel, guide camera and electronic focuser, so you can better manage your cables. The ASI183 Pro includes two short 0.5m USB 2.0 cables. The integrated USB 2.0 hub is powered by the external power source if you connect one.
Thanks to the two stage TEC cooling, ASI183MC Pro can lower the sensor temperature to 40-45 degrees Celsius below ambient temperature, which can greatly reduce dark current generation and sensor noise even during extended exposure times.
*The Delta T 40-45℃ is tested at 30℃ ambient temperature. It might get down when the cooling system is working for a long time. Also, as the ambient temperature falls, the Delta T would also decrease.
Please notice that the camera needs to be connected to an external 11-15v power supply to implement the cooling function. We recommend you use 12V@3A DC adapter (5.5*2.1mm, center pole positive) or lithium battery with 11-15V to power the camera. If you don’t have one, please click here to buy a 12V power adapter. There are 4 different standards for different countries, please make sure you selected the correct adapter when placing the order.
1. M43-T2 adapter
2. EOS-T2 adapter
3. 2”Filter (optional)
4. 1.25” T-Mount
5. 1.25” Filter (optional)
6. M42-1.25” adapter (optional)
7. T2 extender 11mm
What is in the box?
ASI183 Pro box includes all necessary cables, adapters, and manuals.
Spacer thickness: 0.1mm *1+0.2mm *2+0.5mm *1
The best solution of 55mm back focus length
Please notice that the camera needs to be connected to an external DC 12V @3A~5A power supply adapter for use (connector 5.5*2.1mm, center pole positive). If you don’t have one, click here to buy a 12V power adapter. There are 4 different standards for different countries, make sure you selected the correct adapter when placing the order.
Or you can also use lithium battery with 11-15V to power the camera.
Just be aware that power supplies out of this range might cause irreversible damages to your camera.
Camera technical details
Sensor: 1″ CMOS IMX183CLK-J/CQJ-J
Resolution: 20Mega Pixels 5496*3672
Pixel Size: 2.4μm
Bayer Pattern: RGGB
Exposure Range: 32µs-2000s
Read Noise: 1.5-3.0e
QE peak: 84%
Full well: 15ke
DDRIII Buffer: 256MB
Non-volatile memory/On camera storage: Build-in total 192K byte user-accessible space(image size up to 480X320)
Protect window: D32-2-AR
Dimensions: 78mm Diameter
Back Focus Distance: 6.5mm
Cooling: Regulated Two Stage TEC
Delta T: 40°C-45°C below ambient
Camera Power consumption: 650mA at 5V
Cooler Power consumption: 12V at 3A Max
Working Temperature: -5°C—45°C
Storage Temperature: -20°C—60°C
Working Relative Humidity: 20%—80%
Storage Relative Humidity: 20%—95%
Max FPS at full resolution:
more resolutions are in software, support customize resolution.
Fast Shipping: we will choose DHL, UPS, FedEx etc to deliver it. Usually you will get your package within 15-20 days.
- Fast Shipping(amount ≧ 199USD) for free
- Fast Shipping(amount < 199USD) : $30.00 (We do not provide free shipping from now on.)
- It will take around 60-90 days for shipment via ePacket/China Post Registered Air Mail/EMS, which can’t be guaranteed due to force majeure. If you can’t get the air mail package after 2months, please let us know ASAP: email@example.com
- Customers from Brazil and Chile should leave a message to provide your CPF or CNPJ as your custom needs it.
- Customers from Russia need to provide the complete English name with three words as well as the English shipping address.
China air mail: http://www.17track.net/en
- The price list on our website is USD without tax.
- Please note that buyers are liable to pay tax involved, such as Import tax, VAT , customs handling fee, etc. The additional fees may be collected at time of delivery by courier.
- For best local service we advise customers buy our cameras from local dealers.
Warranty and Return Policy
1. ZWO hereby declares that it will provide customers with a warranty period of 2 years for ZWO branded products (excluding APO), as per this policy. APO products will be covered by a 1-year free warranty service, starting from the day following the receipt of the product by the customer. For ASIAIR Plus users, the warranty period will commence from the day of device activation.
2. If a User encounters the following Dead on Arrival (DOA) and contacts ZWO within the corresponding time limit to issue the Product purchase invoice and relevant evidence, ZWO will provide door-to-door pick-up service and, as appropriate, after-sale replacement (or partial replacement), repair or return (or partial return) service for the following Products:
1) Product quality problem
Provided that a User detects a quality problem and contacts ZWO within 30 days after receipt of the Products, and ZWO support team confirms that the Products indeed have a quality problem or defect after their inspection, ZWO will provide free replacement service towards such Products;
2) Product transportation problem
Provided that a User finds obvious signs of bubbling, serious overstocking, or deformation on the outer package of the Products upon receipt of the Products, and provides ZWO with pictures of the outer package and proof of receipt within 3 days after receipt of such Products, ZWO support team will verify the actual shipper and determine the responsible party for such transportation problem. In the event that ZWO is the actual shipper, ZWO will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service, however, if the Products are directly sold or transported to the User by an agent of ZWO, the agent will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service.
3. If the Products are under the following circumstances, they are not within the scope of warranty service, ZWO may provide maintenance services to the Users:
1) The Warranty Period of the Products has expired; or
2) The Products are injected into liquid or affected by moisture or corrosion; or
3) The Products are damaged by an external force (such as the broken of the camera protection window glass, the deformation of the product shell, the broken of the USB port, etc.); or
4) Disassembling, repairing by a third party, refurbishment of the Products (such as downloading erroneous firmware) without the written authorization of ZWO; or
5) The product system is modified, or the maintenance notice is lost or changed; or
6) Product quality problem caused by installation not following the requirements or instructions for the Products; or
7) Physical damage or failure of the Products caused by the force majeure (such as strong vibration or extrusion such as flood, fire, earthquake, or thunder stroke); or
8)Damage caused by the improper User operation during the period of shooting or use, such as using without the equipment protection or direct shooting of the sun; or
9) No valid purchase invoice or warranty certificate; or
10) The Products are second-hand products.
Any quality problem with the accessories or other parts of the Products is not a condition for the return or change of the Products, and the User may solely request to replace the accessories with new ones, which shall be handled after verification by ZWO support team.
If the issue with your ZWO product was caused by certain damage (such as severe damage not covered by the 2-year warranty), you might have to pay the replacement value.
4. For the normal repair or replacement of the Products during the Warranty Period, the User will bear the return cost. When returning the Products, Users shall specify the actual reasons for the damage to the Products, and shall provide the corresponding valid certificates, such as pictures or videos, etc.
For the Products that need to be replaced after being confirmed by ZWO in writing, the User shall return the Products with the complete package, together with all accessories, manuals, etc., to the address designated by ZWO.
By sending back the product to ZWO, the User agrees to pay out-of-warranty fees that may arise during the repair process of the product. ZWO will send back the product after charging.
5. If a User encounters any problem during the use of ZWO Products, you may at any time contact ZWO for technical support via ZWO Support.
For the Products that need to be returned for after-sales service, ZWO will provide the corresponding RMA code for reference.
ZWO will not accept any products having no RMA code that have been returned privately without ZWO written confirmation.
6. If a User purchases the ZWO Products from a ZWO agent, the User may contact the ZWO agent directly for the relevant after-sales service.
Our website is continuously updated with the most recent camera drivers as well as software for DSO and planetary imaging. Please make sure the most recent Driver and software have been installed before you start shooting:
It is also recommended to read the Manuals first before shooting.