ASI290MM Mini camera integrates Sony IMX290 1/3″ sensor (5.6 mm x 3.2 mm). It is a new model in the “mini”-series of cameras from ZWO. This camera has 1936 x 1096 pixels. The pixel size is 2.9 μm x 2.9 μm. This camera provides 12-bit ADC and its QE peak is over 80%.
ASI290MM mini camera offers you very good performance for planetary imaging as well as for guiding. Low read noise, high dynamic range, AR protective window and much more are just some of the key characteristics that set it apart from the competition.
Regarding the relative QE Curve, we estimate the Peak Value is about 80%.
290Mini vs. 290MM
Compared with the ASI290MM camera, the new ASI290MM Mini has a sleeker design, less weight, and it can reach focus at the same position as an eyepiece.
USB2.0Port & ST4 Port
USB 2.0 Port: Mini camera has one USB2.0 type-C port. Type-C port is very popular in mobile phones, as it doesn’t matter which way you connect it (unlike for example type-A or type-B).
#USB-C to USB-A cable is required.
ST4 Port: The camera can be connected directly to the auto-guider port of the mount.
- M28.5-CS adapter
- CS-C adapter
- 1.25″ extender
- 1.25″ filter
What is in the box?
ASI mini camera box includes all necessary cables, adapters, and manuals.
Drivers and Softwares:
Our website is always updated with the most recent camera drivers as well as software for DSO and planetary imaging. Please make sure the most recent driver and software has been installed before you start shooting:
ASI120, ASI174 and ASI290 mini camera have very beautiful outlooks, small size, lighter weight, this is not a big deal.
We should consider much more…
How to choose a good guide camera?
Many people might mention the size, ability to fit with different types of equipment (guide scopes, OAG etc.), stability and ease-of-use.
We agree. That is why our cameras in the “mini”-series all fulfill these, what we think are, basic characteristics of a good guide camera.
But what are truly the most important traits. Let’s face it, when you set up your equipment for a night of imaging, you just want things to work and to see that smooth graph on your guiding software before you start your imaging sequence. In order to do that, there are some things to consider (apart from the points mentioned above):
- Precise guiding,
- Big FOV.
Sensitivity is the first thing we considered. This is of course a crucial ability when looking for a star to guide on. So, from the beginning, we were set on using monochrome sensors to design our guide cameras. Because monochrome sensors have much higher sensitivity than their colour counterpart. Luckily the ASI120MM Mini, ASI290MM Mini and ASI174MM Mini all have very high QE peak value – about 80%, which can detect more stars in view and shorten the exposure time in guiding.
Each of the cameras have their own strength and depending on what you value in a guide camera, one might be better for you than the others.
ASI120MM Mini is designed for newcomers, it is more affordable than ASI290MM Mini and ASI174MM Mini. You can easily get the well-sampled stars with the help of ASI120MM Mini. It’s light, compact and robust. If you are still wondering about which one you should choose as your first guide camera, the ASI120MM Mini is a very good choice.
ASI290MM Mini is designed for precise guiding. The 2.9um pixel size gives you a higher arcsec/pixel than the ASI224 or ASI120 camera. This means that, in the same guide scope, the ASI290MM Mini can detect movement of stars to a higher degree than the other cameras. ASI290MM Mini will improve your guiding precision with around 30% compared to the ASI120MM Mini.
ASI174MM Mini is designed for large field-of-view guiding. This is very useful when looking for a star to guide on, using an OAG. When you use an OAG-guider with a Ritchey-Chretien or Schmit-Cassegrain telescope, the hardest part is to find a suitable guide star. ASI174MM Mini has a larger1/1.2″ sensor which means your FoV is 4 times than that of the ASI120MM Mini.
If you squint your eyes, the back of the ASI mini-camera looks like a smiling face (albeit you have to squint quite hard). On the back you will find a type-C USB port, which is widely used in mobile phones. The ST4-port is used for auto-guiding on mounts. So if you are having one of those observing nights when Murphy’s law is by your side, at least you’ll have an excellent guide camera (that smiles at you).
Focus like a eyepiece
ASI mini camera can focus at the same position as an eyepiece. This means that you can focus with an eyepiece, and then directly insert the ASI mini camera into 1.25″ holder – focus done!
Work with OAG
The Mini-camera series are well suited for OAG use: They have a much bigger focus range than normal ASI cameras. No more worrying about your guide camera and main camera not being able to find focus at the same time.
Work with CS adapter and CS lens
Work with 1.25″ extender
ASI mini camera is available now! You can buy it form us or our dealers! Wish you all have clear skies!
Sensor: 1/2.8″ CMOS IMX290/IMX291
Resolution: 2.1Mega Pixels 1936×1096
Pixel Size: 2.9µm
Exposure Range: 32µs-2000s
Non-volatile memory/On camera storage: Build-in total 192K byte user-accessible space(image size up to 480X320)
ST4 Guider Port: Yes
Focus Distance to Sensor: 8.5mm
Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
Protect window: AR coated window
Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
Bit rate: 12bit output(12bit ADC)
Adaptor:1.25″ / M28.5X0.6
Dimension: φ36mm X 61mm
Weight: 60g or 3.1 ounces (without lens)
Working Temperature: -5°C—45°C
Storage Temperature: -20°C—60°C
Working Relative Humidity: 20%—80%
Storage Relative Humidity: 20%—95%
USB2.0 MAX FPS
2X2Bin :968×548: 20.4
More resolutions can be user defined
Shipping & Delivery
Fast Shipping: we will choose DHL, UPS, FedEx etc to deliver it. Usually you will get your package within 15-20 days.
- Fast Shipping(amount ≧ 199USD) for free
- Fast Shipping(amount < 199USD) : $30.00 (We do not provide free shipping from now on.)
- It will take around 60-90 days for shipment via ePacket/China Post Registered Air Mail/EMS, which can’t be guaranteed due to force majeure. If you can’t get the air mail package after 2months, please let us know ASAP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Customers from Brazil and Chile should leave a message to provide your CPF or CNPJ as your custom needs it.
- Customers from Russia need to provide the complete English name with three words as well as the English shipping address.
China air mail: http://www.17track.net/en
- The price list on our website is USD without tax.
- Please note that buyers are liable to pay tax involved, such as Import tax, VAT , customs handling fee, etc. The additional fees may be collected at time of delivery by courier.
- For best local service we advise customers buy our cameras from local dealers.
Warranty & Return
1. ZWO hereby declares that it will provide customers with a warranty period of 2 years for ZWO branded products (excluding APO), as per this policy. APO products will be covered by a 1-year free warranty service, starting from the day following the receipt of the product by the customer. For ASIAIR Plus users, the warranty period will commence from the day of device activation.
2. If a User encounters the following Dead on Arrival (DOA) and contacts ZWO within the corresponding time limit to issue the Product purchase invoice and relevant evidence, ZWO will provide door-to-door pick-up service and, as appropriate, after-sale replacement (or partial replacement), repair or return (or partial return) service for the following Products:
1) Product quality problem
Provided that a User detects a quality problem and contacts ZWO within 30 days after receipt of the Products, and ZWO support team confirms that the Products indeed have a quality problem or defect after their inspection, ZWO will provide free replacement service towards such Products;
2) Product transportation problem
Provided that a User finds obvious signs of bubbling, serious overstocking, or deformation on the outer package of the Products upon receipt of the Products, and provides ZWO with pictures of the outer package and proof of receipt within 3 days after receipt of such Products, ZWO support team will verify the actual shipper and determine the responsible party for such transportation problem. In the event that ZWO is the actual shipper, ZWO will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service, however, if the Products are directly sold or transported to the User by an agent of ZWO, the agent will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service.
3. If the Products are under the following circumstances, they are not within the scope of warranty service, ZWO may provide maintenance services to the Users:
1) The Warranty Period of the Products has expired; or
2) The Products are injected into liquid or affected by moisture or corrosion; or
3) The Products are damaged by an external force (such as the broken of the camera protection window glass, the deformation of the product shell, the broken of the USB port, etc.); or
4) Disassembling, repairing by a third party, refurbishment of the Products (such as downloading erroneous firmware) without the written authorization of ZWO; or
5) The product system is modified, or the maintenance notice is lost or changed; or
6) Product quality problem caused by installation not following the requirements or instructions for the Products; or
7) Physical damage or failure of the Products caused by the force majeure (such as strong vibration or extrusion such as flood, fire, earthquake, or thunder stroke); or
8)Damage caused by the improper User operation during the period of shooting or use, such as using without the equipment protection or direct shooting of the sun; or
9) No valid purchase invoice or warranty certificate; or
10) The Products are second-hand products.
Any quality problem with the accessories or other parts of the Products is not a condition for the return or change of the Products, and the User may solely request to replace the accessories with new ones, which shall be handled after verification by ZWO support team.
If the issue with your ZWO product was caused by certain damage (such as severe damage not covered by the 2-year warranty), you might have to pay the replacement value.
4. For the normal repair or replacement of the Products during the Warranty Period, the User will bear the return cost. When returning the Products, Users shall specify the actual reasons for the damage to the Products, and shall provide the corresponding valid certificates, such as pictures or videos, etc.
For the Products that need to be replaced after being confirmed by ZWO in writing, the User shall return the Products with the complete package, together with all accessories, manuals, etc., to the address designated by ZWO.
By sending back the product to ZWO, the User agrees to pay out-of-warranty fees that may arise during the repair process of the product. ZWO will send back the product after charging.
5. If a User encounters any problem during the use of ZWO Products, you may at any time contact ZWO for technical support via ZWO Support.
For the Products that need to be returned for after-sales service, ZWO will provide the corresponding RMA code for reference.
ZWO will not accept any products having no RMA code that have been returned privately without ZWO written confirmation.
6. If a User purchases the ZWO Products from a ZWO agent, the User may contact the ZWO agent directly for the relevant after-sales service.
Our website is continuously updated with the most recent camera drivers as well as software for DSO and planetary imaging. Please make sure the most recent Driver and software have been installed before you start shooting:
It is also recommended to read the Manuals first before shooting.