By popular demand, we now introduce the ASI294MM, the monochrome version of the ASI294MC. Some of the highlights include:
- Back-illuminated sensor – improving sensitivity and reducing noise.
- 4/3” format with 4.64 um pixel size – ideal for many types of telescopes.
- 14-bit ADC – giving high dynamic range.
- An impressive 66ke- full well capacity.
- 4144*2822 high resolution – with the Bin1 mode the camera can operate at a resolution of 8288*5644 and pixel size of 2.3 um.
On top of this, not only does it have a very high QE value with a peak at about 90%, but also feature an ultra-low readout noise of 1.2e. If you are looking for a small-format monochrome camera for planetary imaging, you can’t go wrong with the ASI294MM.
Sensor length*width: 19.1*13.0mm. Diagonal: 23mm.
The full well capacity of 66387e of ASI294MM is near the top of all ASI planetary cameras. It ensures a very high dynamic range of up to 13 stops that will greatly reduce the issue of overexposed images and also help to collect richer color information.
When the gain value is set to 120, the HCG high gain mode is turned on. We’re not saying it’s magic…but we’d like to think it is pretty close. With the HCG-mode turned on, the readout noise is greatly reduced, and the dynamic range is basically unchanged.
Unlocked Bin1 Mode
Yet another perk of the ASI294MM is that the pixel size is switchable – the default setting is Bin2, but you can switch to Bin1 anytime in your astrophotography software. This changes the pixel size into 2.3um and increases resolution to 8288×5644. This is what we called “Unlocked Bin1 Mode”. The ability to unlock bin1-mode was a popular request from our customers. Of course we listened to you and worked quickly to make it possible.
Remember that using Bin1mode will decrease the full well capacity compared to the standard bin2-mode.
Unlocked Bin1: 12bit ADC, 2.3um pixel size, 47 megapixels, 8288*5644 resolution, 14k full well capacity.
Bin2 (The default mode): 14bit ADC, 4.6um pixel size, 11.7 megapixels, 4144*2822 resolution, 66k full well capacity.
You can learn the more differences between unlocked Bin1 and Bin2 modes by comparing the performance charts.
If the sampling accuracy you get with the 2.3um pixel size falls within a reasonable range, then the unlocked Bin1 mode will help you get more object details. However, you will lose dynamic range and ADC bit depth. Also the image files you get at Bin1 will probably be around 4 times bigger than Bin2.
So in the end the unlocked Bin1 mode is double-edged, you may choose to use it or not depending on the specific circumstances during your imaging sessions.
As ZWO’s latest BSI (backside illuminated type) mono camera, ASI294MM has very high QE performance, not only higher than its color version, but even ASI1600MM. It is estimated that the QE peak value is about 90%.
ASI294MM vs ASI1600MM
USB 3.0 Port & ST4 Port
USB 3.0 Port: Providing 5Gb bandwidth to let ASI294MM run at 19fps (12bit, high speed mode) or 16.3fps (14bit, normal mode) at full resolution (11.7Mega, Bin2).
ST4 Port: Can be used to connect with auto guide port of mount for guiding.
What’s in the box?
Our website is always updated with the most recent camera drivers as well as software for DSO and planetary imaging. Please make sure the most recent driver and software has been installed before you start shooting:
It is also recommended to read the Manuals first before shooting.
Fast Shipping: we will choose DHL, UPS, FedEx etc to deliver it. Usually you will get your package within 7-14 days.
- Fast Shipping(amount ≧ 199USD) for free
- Fast Shipping(amount < 199USD) : $20.00 (We do not provide free shipping from now on.)
- It will take around 60-90 days for shipment via ePacket/China Post Registered Air Mail/EMS, which can’t be guaranteed due to force majeure. If you can’t get the air mail package after 2months, please let us know ASAP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Customers from Brazil and Chile should leave a message to provide your CPF or CNPJ as your custom needs it.
- Customers from Russia need to provide the complete English name with three words as well as the English shipping address.
China air mail: http://www.17track.net/en
- The price list on our website is USD without tax.
- Please note that buyers are liable to pay tax involved, such as Import tax, VAT , customs handling fee, etc. The additional fees may be collected at time of delivery by courier.
- For best local service we advise customers buy our cameras form local dealers.
Warranty and Return Policy
1. ZWO will provide a 2-year free warranty service (Warranty Period) for ZWO products purchased by Users from ZWO (“Products”) in accordance with this Policy, commencing on the day following receipt of the Products by Users. For ASIAIR Plus users, commencing on the day of device activation.
2. If a User encounters the following Dead on Arrival (DOA) and contacts ZWO within the corresponding time limit to issue the Product purchase invoice and relevant evidence, ZWO will provide door-to-door pick-up service and, as appropriate, after-sale replacement (or partial replacement), repair or return (or partial return) service for the following Products:
1) Product quality problem
Provided that a User detects a quality problem and contacts ZWO within 30 days after receipt of the Products, and ZWO support team confirms that the Products indeed have a quality problem or defect after their inspection, ZWO will provide free replacement service towards such Products;
2) Product transportation problem
Provided that a User finds obvious signs of bubbling, serious overstocking, or deformation on the outer package of the Products upon receipt of the Products, and provides ZWO with pictures of the outer package and proof of receipt within 3 days after receipt of such Products, ZWO support team will verify the actual shipper and determine the responsible party for such transportation problem. In the event that ZWO is the actual shipper, ZWO will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service, however, if the Products are directly sold or transported to the User by an agent of ZWO, the agent will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service.
3. If the Products are under the following circumstances, they are not within the scope of warranty service, ZWO may provide maintenance services to the Users:
1) The Warranty Period of the Products has expired; or
2) The Products are injected into liquid or affected by moisture or corrosion; or
3) The Products are damaged by an external force (such as the broken of the camera protection window glass, the deformation of the product shell, the broken of the USB port, etc.); or
4) Disassembling, repairing by a third party, refurbishment of the Products (such as downloading erroneous firmware) without the written authorization of ZWO; or
5) The product system is modified, or the maintenance notice is lost or changed; or
6) Product quality problem caused by installation not following the requirements or instructions for the Products; or
7) Physical damage or failure of the Products caused by the force majeure (such as strong vibration or extrusion such as flood, fire, earthquake, or thunder stroke); or
8)Damage caused by the improper User operation during the period of shooting or use, such as using without the equipment protection or direct shooting of the sun; or
9) No valid purchase invoice or warranty certificate; or
10) The Products are second-hand products.
Any quality problem with the accessories or other parts of the Products is not a condition for the return or change of the Products, and the User may solely request to replace the accessories with new ones, which shall be handled after verification by ZWO support team.
If the issue with your ZWO product was caused by certain damage (such as severe damage not covered by the 2-year warranty), you might have to pay the replacement value.
4. For the normal repair or replacement of the Products during the Warranty Period, the User will bear the return cost. When returning the Products, Users shall specify the actual reasons for the damage to the Products, and shall provide the corresponding valid certificates, such as pictures or videos, etc.
For the Products that need to be replaced after being confirmed by ZWO in writing, the User shall return the Products with the complete package, together with all accessories, manuals, etc., to the address designated by ZWO.
By sending back the product to ZWO, the User agrees to pay out-of-warranty fees that may arise during the repair process of the product. ZWO will send back the product after charging.
5. If a User encounters any problem during the use of ZWO Products, you may at any time contact ZWO for technical support via ZWO Support.
For the Products that need to be returned for after-sales service, ZWO will provide the corresponding RMA code for reference.
ZWO will not accept any products having no RMA code that have been returned privately without ZWO written confirmation.
6. If a User purchases the ZWO Products from a ZWO agent, the User may contact the ZWO agent directly for the relevant after-sales service.