The ASI482MC is one of the latest OSC planetary cameras released by ZWO in 2021. Packed with Sony sensor IMX482, this camera has some very great highlights, including a large pixel size of 5.8um, compatible with USB 3.0 interface, large full-well depth of 51.5ke-, extremely high sensitivity and super low read out noise, etc. It is considered as one powerful iteration of ZWO after years of developing process in the field of planetary cameras.
1/1.2”format 2 megapixel sensor
The IMX482 sensor adopts back-illuminated CMOS structure. In resolution it is approximately the same as IMX462, but with 4 times the sensor size, it accordingly has a larger pixel size of 5.8*5.8um.
The sensor length and width are 11.13mm*6.26mm. The diagonal is 12.86mm.
Sony is introducing SNR1s [lx] as an index used to quantitatively evaluate picture quality at low illumination. SNR1s [lx] is an acronym consisting of “SNR” (Signal-to-Noise Ratio), “1” (represents that the signal level when noise = 1 is 1), and “s” (for Security). The lower this value is, the greater the image quality will be at low illumination.
The 5.8um large pixel size allows unprecedentedly low SNR1s value of 0.08lx for ASI482MC. While ASI385MC is 0.13lx, you may see it is almost 2 times better, which brings the camera a fantastic nickname – “The King of the Night”.
51.5ke- full well capacity
With the full well capacity of 51.5ke-, ASI482MC displays rich star details when taking astrophotos. Coupled with the ultimately low SNR1s, the efficiency of date acquisition can be really high. This is particularly helpful for solar, lunar and planetary imaging, also makes the camera perfect for DSO lucky imaging (taking multiple photos in short exposure times and stack them to improve SNR.)
Moreover, thanks to the features above, ASI482MC can also be an ideal EAA camera or all-sky camera.
ASI482MC has a built-in HCG mode which can effectively reduce the readout noise at high gain and keep the same wide dynamic range as you would expect at low gain. When the gain is 80, the HCG mode will automatically turn on. The read out noise fall off a cliff while the dynamic range still can reach close to 12 stops. The minimum read noise is 1.5 e.
We assume the QE peak value of ASI482MC is 85% at 530nm.
USB 3.0 Port & ST4 Port
USB 3.0 Port: Like other ASI cameras, the ASI482MC is powered and controlled via USB 3.0. It provides 5Gb bandwidth to let the camera run at 82.5fps (10bit, high speed mode) or 57.5fps (12bit, normal mode) at full resolution (2Mega).
ST4 Port: Can be used to connect with auto guide port of mount for guiding.
What’s in the box?
Camera technical details
Sensor: 1/1.2″ CMOS Sony-IMX482
Back focus length: 17.5mm
Max fps: 82.5fps
Full well: 51.5K e
Shutter: Rolling shutter
Resolution: 2.07Mega Pixel,1920*1080
Pixel Size: 5.8µm
Data Format: RAW8、RAW16、RGB24、Mono8
Exposure Range: 32μs~2000s
Protect window: AR
Working Temperature: -5℃~50℃
Storage Temperature: -10℃~60℃
Working Relative Humidity: 0-80%
Supported OS: WIN7/8/10 32&64、Linux、Mac
Our website is continuously updated with the most recent camera drivers as well as software for DSO and planetary imaging. Please make sure the most recent Driver and software have been installed before you start shooting:
It is also recommended to read the Manuals first before shooting.
Fast Shipping: we will choose DHL, UPS, FedEx etc to deliver it. Usually you will get your package within 15-20 days.
- Fast Shipping(amount ≧ 199USD) for free
- Fast Shipping(amount < 199USD) : $30.00 (We do not provide free shipping from now on.)
- It will take around 60-90 days for shipment via ePacket/China Post Registered Air Mail/EMS, which can’t be guaranteed due to force majeure. If you can’t get the air mail package after 2months, please let us know ASAP: email@example.com
- Customers from Brazil and Chile should leave a message to provide your CPF or CNPJ as your custom needs it.
- Customers from Russia need to provide the complete English name with three words as well as the English shipping address.
China air mail: http://www.17track.net/en
- The price list on our website is USD without tax.
- Please note that buyers are liable to pay tax involved, such as Import tax, VAT , customs handling fee, etc. The additional fees may be collected at time of delivery by courier.
- For best local service we advise customers buy our cameras form local dealers.
Warranty and Return Policy
1. ZWO will provide a 2-year free warranty service (Warranty Period) for ZWO products purchased by Users from ZWO (“Products”) in accordance with this Policy, commencing on the day following receipt of the Products by Users. For ASIAIR Plus users, commencing on the day of device activation.
2. If a User encounters the following Dead on Arrival (DOA) and contacts ZWO within the corresponding time limit to issue the Product purchase invoice and relevant evidence, ZWO will provide door-to-door pick-up service and, as appropriate, after-sale replacement (or partial replacement), repair or return (or partial return) service for the following Products:
1) Product quality problem
Provided that a User detects a quality problem and contacts ZWO within 30 days after receipt of the Products, and ZWO support team confirms that the Products indeed have a quality problem or defect after their inspection, ZWO will provide free replacement service towards such Products;
2) Product transportation problem
Provided that a User finds obvious signs of bubbling, serious overstocking, or deformation on the outer package of the Products upon receipt of the Products, and provides ZWO with pictures of the outer package and proof of receipt within 3 days after receipt of such Products, ZWO support team will verify the actual shipper and determine the responsible party for such transportation problem. In the event that ZWO is the actual shipper, ZWO will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service, however, if the Products are directly sold or transported to the User by an agent of ZWO, the agent will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service.
3. If the Products are under the following circumstances, they are not within the scope of warranty service, ZWO may provide maintenance services to the Users:
1) The Warranty Period of the Products has expired; or
2) The Products are injected into liquid or affected by moisture or corrosion; or
3) The Products are damaged by an external force (such as the broken of the camera protection window glass, the deformation of the product shell, the broken of the USB port, etc.); or
4) Disassembling, repairing by a third party, refurbishment of the Products (such as downloading erroneous firmware) without the written authorization of ZWO; or
5) The product system is modified, or the maintenance notice is lost or changed; or
6) Product quality problem caused by installation not following the requirements or instructions for the Products; or
7) Physical damage or failure of the Products caused by the force majeure (such as strong vibration or extrusion such as flood, fire, earthquake, or thunder stroke); or
8)Damage caused by the improper User operation during the period of shooting or use, such as using without the equipment protection or direct shooting of the sun; or
9) No valid purchase invoice or warranty certificate; or
10) The Products are second-hand products.
Any quality problem with the accessories or other parts of the Products is not a condition for the return or change of the Products, and the User may solely request to replace the accessories with new ones, which shall be handled after verification by ZWO support team.
If the issue with your ZWO product was caused by certain damage (such as severe damage not covered by the 2-year warranty), you might have to pay the replacement value.
4. For the normal repair or replacement of the Products during the Warranty Period, the User will bear the return cost. When returning the Products, Users shall specify the actual reasons for the damage to the Products, and shall provide the corresponding valid certificates, such as pictures or videos, etc.
For the Products that need to be replaced after being confirmed by ZWO in writing, the User shall return the Products with the complete package, together with all accessories, manuals, etc., to the address designated by ZWO.
By sending back the product to ZWO, the User agrees to pay out-of-warranty fees that may arise during the repair process of the product. ZWO will send back the product after charging.
5. If a User encounters any problem during the use of ZWO Products, you may at any time contact ZWO for technical support via ZWO Support.
For the Products that need to be returned for after-sales service, ZWO will provide the corresponding RMA code for reference.
ZWO will not accept any products having no RMA code that have been returned privately without ZWO written confirmation.
6. If a User purchases the ZWO Products from a ZWO agent, the User may contact the ZWO agent directly for the relevant after-sales service.
Evan – :
hello~I’m going to buy it… What is a better camera for DSO EAA-482MC or 485MC?
sara.liu – :
We suggest 482mc for EAA and 485mc for planetary.
Peter MB – :
Is It possible to do binning using ASIStudio with this camera?
Memory Ji – :
Peter MB – :
Does 482MC support binning?
Memory Ji – :
Yes, you can set software binning;-)
Menno – :
In the description it says “.. adopts back-illuminated CMOS structure”. Does this mean it is back-illuminated or that the camera is front-illuminated but the structure of the CMOS has back-illuminated building features in it?
Memory Ji – :
The metal wiring and transistors components have been moved to the back-side of the silicon substrate in order to increase the amount of light that enters each pixel, this is back-illuminated.
Yves Bachand – :
Hi! I have an Celestron Edge HD 8 inches and i’m not sure which planetary camera to choose between the 385, 485 or 482 mc mainly for planets and lunar astrophotography… The seeing conditions in my area is average to poor most of the time…
Which one do you suggest for my equipment and do you also suggest a barlow to use with it…
Memory Ji – :
485mc is more suitable for planetary imaging.
Shane Creamer – :
I agree with John’s comment above. A cooled version of this camera would make for the ideal EAA camera for DSO’s, especially for those of us who live in hotter climates where Hot Pixels are even more prevalent. A cooled version would be the ideal ASI385MC-Cool successor!
Abhijit – :
I am from India.
I already have ASI 1600MM-PRO working perfectly. However I am in search of OSC camera which will give better results, since this 482MC have larger pixels and full well I expect it to perform better than 1600MM-PRO. My imaging time is less as my sky area is limited so I am thinking of switching to OSC from 1600MM-PRO. My budget is low so can’t afford 2600MC or 2400MC versions.
want to know do you ship products to India?
If yes, can I place order from this website or you have any other online store?
sara.liu – :
Yes, we ship to India, please place order on our website directly.
Paul – :
Just wondering if this camera supports ROI? If so what are the frame rates for given resolutions?
sara.liu – :
Yes, the ASI482 supports ROI.
When the resolution is 1080, the max FPS is 82.5.
When the resolution is 240, the mas FPS is 328.4.
Michael – :
Hi, this looks like an exciting product!
I have an F/5 130 Newtonian and my interest is primarily DSO EAA. I am a beginner and my budget is a little tight, so please forgive me if any of my questions seem silly 🙂
1) I have read a lot about the 224 (which was my first choice before this was released). Do you recommend an IR cut filter for the 482 also? I see it is less IR sensitive than the 224 so I am wondering if I can get away without one?
2) The 224 has shown great results for EAA with a gain setting in the range 250-350. Would comparable gain settings for the 482 be more or less the same?
3) If I am running subs in the range 4s to 8s, what should I consider when choosing between the 482 and the 485?
Many thanks for your time 🙂
sara.liu – :
The 482 can be used with IR CUT filters.
I think 482 is better, it has the better efficiency and sensitivity.
Val – :
Is this camera a spiritual successor to the sensitive 224MC ? Can it be used for EAA of DSO with a greater success ?
sara.liu – :
The 482MC can be used for EAA of DSO.
John – :
Hello,will you make this also in a cooled version ? or mono ?
its a great sensor for galaxies too,for longer fl scopes.
greetings John https://www.astrobin.com/users/kajouman/
sara.liu – :
Thanks for your interest in our product.
We do not have that plan yet, received your request, will convey it to our devs; )