The traditional equatorial mount requires heavy counterweights. It can be very difficult to keep balance in RA and DEC directions, and also inconvenient for transit and storage, which brings amateur astrophotographers a lot of pain when they are out for imaging.
Some of the strain wave geared drive mounts are relatively simple in functions, insufficient in load capacity, and also not very stable in use.
To solve the above issues, ZWO developed the ASI Mount series. No need for a counterweight. With a self-weight of 3.9kg, AM3 has a large load capacity from 8kg to 13kg. While portability is very important, stability is also essential in use. Instead of blindly pursuing the lightweight of the mount body, ZWO is more so along the lines of stability for an entire use. The internal structure of the body is optimized with the strain wave gear reducer and synchronous belt, bringing more accurate control and an amazing reduction ratio of 300:1. It is also multi-functional that can be used as both an equatorial mount or an altazimuth mount. You can either control the mount via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, or a hand controller.
Portable and stable
The internal structure of the body is optimized with the strain wave gear reducer and synchronous belt, bringing more accurate control and an amazing reduction ratio of 300:1.
Customized Strain Wave Gear
ZWO developed the special strain wave gear based on the actual needs for astrophotography. It comes with very low periodic error and high torque. Each mount is tested and equipped with an exclusive PE curve before it leaves the factory so that the quality can be guaranteed.
3.9kg Net Weight
Instead of blindly pursuing the lightweight of the mount body, ZWO is more so along the lines of stability for an entire use.
The load capacity of AM3 without the counterweight is 8kg, and 13kg with the counterweight.
According to the engineering calculations, we can calculate the maximum load capacity of the AM3 mount:
8kg without the counterweight
13kg with the counterweight.
The counterweight should be secured on a counterweight bar of no more than 25cm in length.
Equatorial Mode / Altazimuth Mode
Can be switched via ASI Mount App or hand controller
Equatorial Mode: Suitable for tracking and photographing objects
Altazimuth Mode: Suitable for visual astronomy
All-round 0°-90° Pitch Angle
Gear 1: Allow you to adjust the pitch angle grip to achieve a degree between 0 and 60.
Gear 2: You can loosen the hex-head screw and then adjust the pitch angel grip to achieve a degree between 30 and 90.
Tonight’s Target, GOTO, Live Preview and so many great functions can all be achieved with your phones.
Rocker-style Hand Controller
Comfortable touch and easy to use. Integrated with Wi-Fi network allowing for wireless control. You can easily upgrade the firmware of the hand controller and mount it on the webpage.
Seamless Linkage with ASIAIR
ASIAIR can control AM5 via a wired or wireless connection. The ASI package gives customers the best astrophotography experience.
*Note: The recommended operating voltage for the ZWO Harmonic Equatorial Mount is 12V. When the actual input voltage is below 10.8V, the mount will emit a beeping alarm to indicate under-voltage condition. To ensure proper functioning of the equipment, we recommend using the official ZWO power adapter and an appropriately sized power cable.
What’s in the box
① Pier Extension
With the pier extension, the telescope with a long focal length will be greatly avoided from hitting the tripod legs.
② Carbon Fiber Tripod
Short and portable. Easy to transport inside your hand luggage.
Carbon fiber material: High strength and high impact resistance.
Adjustable height: 470-800mm. Dual-section legs provide a stable and rigid platform for telescopes and cameras.
Spreader plate: Increase the stability of the tripod.
Weight bag: Provides additional stability by filling it with suitable weights such as stones or your telescope battery pack.
Fixed spread angle: Easy to use.
Shipping & Delivery
Fast Shipping: we will choose DHL, UPS, FedEx etc to deliver it. Usually you will get your package within 15-20 days.
Fast Shipping(amount ≧ 199USD) for free
Fast Shipping(amount < 199USD) : $30.00 (We do not provide free shipping from now on.)
It will take around 60-90 days for shipment via ePacket/China Post Registered Air Mail/EMS, which can’t be guaranteed due to force majeure. If you can’t get the air mail package after 2months, please let us know ASAP: firstname.lastname@example.org
Customers from Brazil and Chile should leave a message to provide your CPF or CNPJ as your custom needs it.
Customers from Russia need to provide the complete English name with three words as well as the English shipping address.
China air mail: http://www.17track.net/en
The price list on our website is USD without tax.
Please note that buyers are liable to pay tax involved, such as Import tax, VAT , customs handling fee, etc. The additional fees may be collected at time of delivery by courier.
For best local service we advise customers buy our cameras from local dealers.
Warranty & Return
1. ZWO hereby declares that it will provide customers with a warranty period of 2 years for ZWO branded products (excluding APO), as per this policy. APO products will be covered by a 1-year free warranty service, starting from the day following the receipt of the product by the customer. For ASIAIR Plus users, the warranty period will commence from the day of device activation.
2. If a User encounters the following Dead on Arrival (DOA) and contacts ZWO within the corresponding time limit to issue the Product purchase invoice and relevant evidence, ZWO will provide door-to-door pick-up service and, as appropriate, after-sale replacement (or partial replacement), repair or return (or partial return) service for the following Products:
1) Product quality problem
Provided that a User detects a quality problem and contacts ZWO within 30 days after receipt of the Products, and ZWO support team confirms that the Products indeed have a quality problem or defect after their inspection, ZWO will provide free replacement service towards such Products;
2) Product transportation problem
Provided that a User finds obvious signs of bubbling, serious overstocking, or deformation on the outer package of the Products upon receipt of the Products, and provides ZWO with pictures of the outer package and proof of receipt within 3 days after receipt of such Products, ZWO support team will verify the actual shipper and determine the responsible party for such transportation problem. In the event that ZWO is the actual shipper, ZWO will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service, however, if the Products are directly sold or transported to the User by an agent of ZWO, the agent will be responsible for providing the relevant return or replacement service.
3. If the Products are under the following circumstances, they are not within the scope of warranty service, ZWO may provide maintenance services to the Users:
1) The Warranty Period of the Products has expired; or
2) The Products are injected into liquid or affected by moisture or corrosion; or
3) The Products are damaged by an external force (such as the broken of the camera protection window glass, the deformation of the product shell, the broken of the USB port, etc.); or
4) Disassembling, repairing by a third party, refurbishment of the Products (such as downloading erroneous firmware) without the written authorization of ZWO; or
5) The product system is modified, or the maintenance notice is lost or changed; or
6) Product quality problem caused by installation not following the requirements or instructions for the Products; or
7) Physical damage or failure of the Products caused by the force majeure (such as strong vibration or extrusion such as flood, fire, earthquake, or thunder stroke); or
8)Damage caused by the improper User operation during the period of shooting or use, such as using without the equipment protection or direct shooting of the sun; or
9) No valid purchase invoice or warranty certificate; or
10) The Products are second-hand products.
Any quality problem with the accessories or other parts of the Products is not a condition for the return or change of the Products, and the User may solely request to replace the accessories with new ones, which shall be handled after verification by ZWO support team.
If the issue with your ZWO product was caused by certain damage (such as severe damage not covered by the 2-year warranty), you might have to pay the replacement value.
4. For the normal repair or replacement of the Products during the Warranty Period, the User will bear the return cost. When returning the Products, Users shall specify the actual reasons for the damage to the Products, and shall provide the corresponding valid certificates, such as pictures or videos, etc.
For the Products that need to be replaced after being confirmed by ZWO in writing, the User shall return the Products with the complete package, together with all accessories, manuals, etc., to the address designated by ZWO.
By sending back the product to ZWO, the User agrees to pay out-of-warranty fees that may arise during the repair process of the product. ZWO will send back the product after charging.
5. If a User encounters any problem during the use of ZWO Products, you may at any time contact ZWO for technical support via ZWO Support.
For the Products that need to be returned for after-sales service, ZWO will provide the corresponding RMA code for reference.
ZWO will not accept any products having no RMA code that have been returned privately without ZWO written confirmation.
6. If a User purchases the ZWO Products from a ZWO agent, the User may contact the ZWO agent directly for the relevant after-sales service.
Our website is continuously updated with the most recent camera drivers as well as software for DSO and planetary imaging. Please make sure the most recent Driver and software have been installed before you start shooting:
It is also recommended to read the Manuals first before shooting.